Tuesday, December 14, 2010

1:30 a.m.

> Hello, and welcome to another edition of What's Wrong with my Baby, and Why Won't He Sleep? If you have followed this blog or read my facebook status updates with any regularity, you know it really ought to be What's Wrong with Me, and Why Am I Still Awake at 1:30 a.m. trying to email a blog post from my iPad when the baby quit screaming fifteen minutes ago? (Sorry. Capitalizing stuff on the iPad is way more work than on a regular computer, and I just got tired.)
>
> But seriously. It's like he wants to snuggle with me all the time. And I just had my appendix out, for heaven's sake (watch for a new post about the surgeon who removed my belly button-- Coming Soon) and it hurts to lean over the crib with one hand on his back for however long it takes to reassure him that I haven't left, even though, as soon as his breathing slows down, I really am going to leave. I'm even thinking about making a giant mattress on the floor with blankets and having Joe sleep with him so that when he wakes up at night, he feels a warm body next to him and can just go back to sleep. Do you think it will work?
>
> The other day, I pulled him into bed on a Sunday afternoon because I was trying to wake John up from his nap so I could get a little one before I went to choir practice (and, after all, who can sleep with a 3/4-of-a-year old baby climbing all over them?) But instead, he just curled up and went to sleep (the baby, that is; John was already asleep) and it got me thinking that I'm going about this all wrong. Only, what would it look like, to go about it all right?
>
> I'll tell you what it would look like: me, twenty pounds lighter (did you know that people who sleep eight hours at night weigh less, on average, than people who don't and also because I could get up early and exercise?), blissfully cleaning my house, playing with my new three-year-old, preparing extra lessons in reading and multiplication for my school-aged children, cooking delectable meals full of yummy vegetables and convincing my children to eat them without either one of us resorting to whining or threats, and going to bed fully relaxed in the knowledge that I will not have to freeze my toes off in a few hours when the baby wakes up and starts screaming.
>
> I guess I could start wearing socks to bed.
>
> Sent from my iPad

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really hate to wear socks to bed. I only do it when I camp.
I wish I had the eloquence to say my feelings/happenings that you do. And I get a full nights sleep (that is when I go to bed a descent hour instead of staying up for "alone" time.