Thursday, November 12, 2009

Netti-pot

So last week I spent a day suffering from the painful experience of a clogged sinus. Since I'm pregnant, I'm not allowed to take the good stuff, and I was desperate to try anything "legal" that I could get my hands on to relieve the buildup of mucus inside my facial cavity. I bought a netti-pot and tried it out. Don't know if you've ever used a netti-pot before. It feels a lot like when you're body-surfing and a horrible wave washes over you and you inhale a whole bunch of salt water up your nose. You're supposed to dissolve the pre-packaged saline solution in warm water and put the netti-pot in one nostril. Then you tilt your head so that the solution flows in one nostril, through your sinuses, and out the other nostril. Fun!!!

Well, I was sitting in bed this evening, waiting for John to finish his post-basketball shower, when suddenly, from the direction of the bathroom, I hear a series of spluttering coughs and desperate attempts at nose-blowing. The last time I had used the netti-pot was in the shower (figured that the hot water PLUS the salt water ought to work twice as well). John had seen it sitting on the ledge and thought, "Hey, might as well try this out." Needless to say, he won't be making another foray into that branch of alternative medicine anytime soon.

"What were you thinking, leaving a netti-pot in the shower? As if I would know not to try it. It still burns," he kept exclaiming as he dried off and dressed after his shower. "Did you breathe through your mouth and block off the sinuses in the back of your throat?" I asked. "No. I just filled it up with salt and water and poured it in one nostril and it came out everywhere. You didn't tell me how to use it." I tried defending myself, "You didn't tell me you were going to try it." But that was no excuse, apparently.

6 comments:

Angie Larkin said...

Ha! That sounds horrible! I was standing in the medicine aisle the other day at Walmart contemplating the Neti Pot. I know certain people swear by them. Did it ever offer you any relief?

It seems to make sense...whereas drying boogers into cement with Sudafed does not seem to make sense. I hate congestion!

Congrats on the new baby on the way!

Riss said...

Congratulations on the new baby! When are you due? I, too, am curious about whether it worked. Tis the season of colds and cough and I don't get to use the good stuff either. Do tell.

Shaunna said...

It works if you do it right and if you have a regular cold. It didn't work well with the clogged sinus, which was way into my cheek, below my left eye. And studies show that continual use of the Neti Pot can actually cause more infection, so be careful. But, honestly, why would you want to?

Marissa and Scott Bunker said...

That's too funny. I'm going to have to share that one with Scott. He has not been too fond of my alternative remedies, although they work. Congratulations on the baby! I didn't know you were expecting!

Mindy said...

Congratulations!! What exciting news. When are you due? It has been forever since I have talked with you. I hope all is well!

monica said...

Oh Shaunna, The Netti Pot, I want to get everyone I know one. not because they are awesome, but because I like the idea. Water up the nose and all. It's funny and so was your post.
Thank you for sharing. :)